Friday, October 22, 2010

The Throng of Thirty-Five

More cheeks have tasted the front
Then the back of my hand.
But make no mistake my friend:
In my few years as a man,
I been taught equally to slander
As I have learned to flatter.
And the quick sting of the tongue bests the shiv,
In cutting the thick-skinned to tatters.

War's no longer won,
With swords or a gun.
But with the corrupting seeds
Sown by a bladed, forked tongue.

Friend, please tell me you believe
That I wasn't always this way.
Tell me you know that it happened to me
That I got caught in their scheming array.
Please remember me how I once was.
For once my face was soft and unclean,
I wore my girls on my arm
My heart always upon my sleeve.

I know not whence this way I came,
Or how. Or why. But just the same,
Pray my friend not for the front face
Warm and soft, but venom-laced.

No comments:

Post a Comment